Author Topic: [Added]Ghost Mode in Races  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Ege

• VIP
  • Score: 39828
  • |m|
[Added]Ghost Mode in Races
« on: October 30, 2016, 01:11:52 pm »
Title pretty much says it all. I myself admit that sometimes ramming each others makes races entertaining, but especially while racing with players who has +200 ping, on purpose or not, there are lots of crashes that ruins the race. And i don't want races to turn into damn demolition derbies so can we just have ghost cars in races?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:32:56 pm by Jonne »

Offline WuZi

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
  • Gifts are always good
    • GgT Forum
Re: Ghost Mode in Races
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 01:28:19 pm »
I know what you mean, but I don't know if it's possible to script "ghost cars", where there is no collision with others. What I do know is, that we can let every racer has his own world. All participants are alone and once the time ran out or 3 racers finished, the race will be over. This would be easy to script in my opinion.

Offline Ege

• VIP
  • |m|
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 02:04:21 pm »
I'm not into this scripting stuff so I don't suggest things I don't know if it's possible or not. I usually make a suggestion if i already see it somewhere else, like this one. I know that some servers have this feature. I also know what you're talking about, i was about to suggest either one of these 2 but I personally think racing in different virtual world doesn't feel challenging so i'd rather have ghost cars.

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 02:24:18 pm »
It is possible since 0.3.7, which is the version Plan B is currently using.
I'm unsure about the suggestion, after all dodging other cars is part of the racing experience, but it also gives laggers an advantage. It could be positive, I don't know :D
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Ege

• VIP
  • |m|
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 02:43:33 pm »
It is possible since 0.3.7, which is the version Plan B is currently using.
I'm unsure about the suggestion, after all dodging other cars is part of the racing experience, but it also gives laggers an advantage. It could be positive, I don't know :D

As i mentioned above i admit it's funny to ram each other sometimes, and yeah it's a part of it that you should avoid them. But there's not much you can do when you're riding side to side with a lagger and he just teleports right into your car causing you crash&explode, and he gets away with it like nothing happened :D

Offline Quido

• Head Admin
  • Score: 27783
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 02:59:32 pm »
I don't think it's needed, it is frustrating when get hit by another player because of lag but trust me, racing against ghost cars gets boring very quickly. It just turns into a time trial instead of racing, part of the excitement of racing comes from trying to avoid collision. Ege, if you recall the our most recent Infernus race where you were ahead, I had to stay behind so I didn't crash into you which allowed you to win whereas you were a ghost car I could have driven straight through you and taken your place. Also, crashing is part of racing, if you watch any type of racing at a professional level crashes happen every race even without lag. Now link it back to the game where the racing is done with a keyboard, not as accurate as a wheel, and the fact that everyone isn't a professional. With or without lag crashing is bound to happen.

Offline Ege

• VIP
  • |m|
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 04:16:54 pm »
I don't think it's needed, it is frustrating when get hit by another player because of lag but trust me, racing against ghost cars gets boring very quickly. It just turns into a time trial instead of racing, part of the excitement of racing comes from trying to avoid collision. Ege, if you recall the our most recent Infernus race where you were ahead, I had to stay behind so I didn't crash into you which allowed you to win whereas you were a ghost car I could have driven straight through you and taken your place. Also, crashing is part of racing, if you watch any type of racing at a professional level crashes happen every race even without lag. Now link it back to the game where the racing is done with a keyboard, not as accurate as a wheel, and the fact that everyone isn't a professional. With or without lag crashing is bound to happen.

At that moment you were talking about i could have changed my line right in front of yours before you got the chance to pass me, so that would make you crash too. I'm not against racing 'dirty' or ramming each others. For example I've won/lost so many Los Santos races by ramming&crashing people who were driving back from The Pier. This might be fun (it's still a personal opinion though). But when you are driving straight ahead with full speed, head to head with other players and their car appears inside yours outta nowhere and makes you crash, I don't see any fun in it.  And i know what you're talking about, I myself as a Formula 1 fan, which is aiming to more speed, less damage there are still crashes so that's the part of that sport. Also believe me, if there wouldn't be lag and game would be fully sync'ed, i would never suggest something like this just because i'm getting rammed by other players.

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 10:08:16 pm »
I don't see why it can't be an option, like choosing which vehilce to race in. For air races though, it's basically a requirement.

Offline Altus_Demens

• Admin
  • Score: 23951
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 12:59:41 am »
I don't see why it can't be an option, like choosing which vehilce to race in. For air races though, it's basically a requirement.
Agreed.
It should be an option. +1.
A paltry man and poor of mind
At all things ever mocks;
For never he knows, what he ought to know,
That he is not free from faults.

Offline Satvik

• VIP
  • Score: 11218
  • Banned!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 05:35:20 am »
+1 for adding this in air races

Offline COBRA

• PTP Member since 2006
  • VIP
  • PPLV Clan Founder
    • PPLV WebPage
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 11:01:42 am »
Yeah nice idea! +1

●  PPLV Website - PPLV Clan Topic  ●

Nostalgia..

Offline SoLoD

• Youtube stunting channel
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 11:16:03 pm »
I can give you an alternative - use pursuit mode. Next racer starts his race after previous racer +2-4 seconds.
You are not in ghost mode and you are not starting from a big mess in the beginning.
Especially good for 'circle' races.
You know the nice thing about the Bronx Zoo, Charlie? There's bars between you and the monkeys.

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 03:22:44 pm »
I'll add it as an option in the future.