Author Topic: Armor, Red County, PMs & spawn protection suggestions  (Read 7305 times)

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
Armor, Red County, PMs & spawn protection suggestions
« on: April 10, 2016, 01:57:32 am »
  • Set maximum armor points between 99 and 100. Armor in pickups and president armor should be fixed to a value between 99 and 100 (such as 99.95?). That would make it really easy to spot and autoban hackers, since they mostly spawn full armor with 100 hp.
  • Add more vehicles in Red County. In certain areas of Red County, losing a vehicle means 10 minutes sprinting to find another one or a /kill. There are enough vehicles around civilian, terrorist, security and police spawns, but the Western areas like Blueberry, Montgomery, the brewery, the lumberyard, etc. are practically empty.
  • Slightly move police and civilian spawns in Red County. Since players get stuck on the ground at spawn all time and need assistance from the Staff. If you set the spawn on another map object which is streamed faster or just set a higher Z coordinate, it should be fixed.
  • /r <message> command. To answer the last PM received. /r for reports could be turned into /re.
  • Set spawn protection on an area instead of using a timer. Because the actual rule disallows to shoot a player at their spawn, not up to 30 seconds after spawn. This is causing trouble, such as players starting duels with spawn protection or rule-breakers being able to spawnkill after 30 seconds (quite common with civilians). Spawn protection should last forever as long as the player hasn't left a preset spawn area. This can be easily scripted with y_Areas include. Also, protect security team from losing the armor they spawn with while under spawn protection.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:08:20 pm by Ariane »
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
Re: Armor, Red County, PMs & spawn protection suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 06:05:41 pm »
  • Set maximum armor points between 99 and 100. Armor in pickups and president armor should be fixed to a value between 99 and 100 (such as 99.95?). That would make it really easy to spot and autoban hackers, since they mostly spawn full armor with 100 hp.

Good idea, I'll add that in a future update.

• Add more vehicles in Red County. In certain areas of Red County, losing a vehicle means 10 minutes sprinting to find another one or a /kill. There are enough vehicles around civilian, terrorist, security and police spawns, but the Western areas like Blueberry, Montgomery, the brewery, the lumberyard, etc. are practically empty.
  • Slightly move police and civilian spawns in Red County. Since players get stuck on the ground at spawn all time and need assistance from the Staff. If you set the spawn on another map object which is streamed faster or just set a higher Z coordinate, it should be fixed.

Maps are being completely redone, so all of that will be fixed. The spawns in RC shouldn't cause any problems anymore, but if they do, let me know so I can move them a bit.

• /r <message> command. To answer the last PM received. /r for reports could be turned into /re.

I'll add that, but I prefer another command for it. Everyone is used to /r for reporting, so I think it would create too much confusion. I don't really have any idea what command we could use it for (I prefer something other than /r, /re or /rep to not confuse it with reports), so if you've got any suggestion, let me know.

• Set spawn protection on an area instead of using a timer. Because the actual rule disallows to shoot a player at their spawn, not up to 30 seconds after spawn. This is causing trouble, such as players starting duels with spawn protection or rule-breakers being able to spawnkill after 30 seconds (quite common with civilians). Spawn protection should last forever as long as the player hasn't left a preset spawn area. This can be easily scripted with y_Areas include. Also, protect security team from losing the armor they spawn with while under spawn protection.

That's something I'll definitely look into, but it won't be anytime soon. I don't have that much time anymore, so I'll keep it to small updates for now, but a system like this will be added in the future, it just might take a while until I get around to it. (The spawn protection in duels is already fixed)

Offline Uthar_Smith

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 06:15:31 pm »
I'll add that, but I prefer another command for it. Everyone is used to /r for reporting, so I think it would create too much confusion. I don't really have any idea what command we could use it for (I prefer something other than /r, /re or /rep to not confuse it with reports), so if you've got any suggestion, let me know.

i was trying to get # used for fast reply, having a bit of a trouble with that : x

/p would  be a fast response for /pm maybe?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:17:19 pm by Uthar_Smith »

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 06:29:29 pm »

I'm fine with /p if everyone else is. I don't think using # is a good idea.

Offline Uthar_Smith

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 07:16:51 pm »

I think /p is fine

Offline Great_Khali

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:27:19 pm »
Yeah similarly you can set vehicle values to be 999 instead of 1000 to get rid of vhh with a simple script.

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 10:12:07 pm »

Good idea, I'll add that in a future update.
Why not just check if, when a player's armor increases, they are within a certain radius of an armor pickup or their spawn and if not, ban them? The 99/100 armor thing only catches stupid hackers. This could be done for health too, but it's much more difficult because of the various vending machines that also give health that would have to be considered.

Yeah similarly you can set vehicle values to be 999 instead of 1000 to get rid of vhh with a simple script.
What about when you take your car into a Pay-N-Spray? The same anti-armor spawning thing that I mentioned earlier could be applied to VHH.

That's something I'll definitely look into, but it won't be anytime soon. I don't have that much time anymore, so I'll keep it to small updates for now, but a system like this will be added in the future, it just might take a while until I get around to it. (The spawn protection in duels is already fixed)
I believe it was a timer because otherwise you can just sit in the spawn area forever, which is not really that bad, but still has the potential for abuse (and you aren't playing the game if you're just sitting there). If spawn protection applies to vehicles too, then a Civilian or some other class could keep the President in their (invincible) car at the spawn area indefinitely. You've also got a bunch of invincible players in their spawn. (Want to kill the President as his security? Just drive the President to the terrorist spawn!). Also, you have to define where exactly the spawn area is- which is much more annoying than just figuring that by the end of the spawn protection time, players will have left.

Related suggestion- the anti-teamkilling thing for vehicles should be disabled if a player of the opposite team is a passenger in teammate's car to prevent abuse.

I think /p is fine
What about having a speed-dial kind of thing for /p? The first person that sends you a message is /p1 to reply, the second is /p2 (it would say in the PM text) etc. That way, wrong-ID replies would be limited when talking to multiple people. /p would still just go to the last person. You could also try ? instead of /p and still do what I suggested, if ? works.

Another /pm suggestion: fix what happens in PTP where the message gets cut off when it's too long instead of being split into multiple lines.

Maps are being completely redone, so all of that will be fixed.
I know you said in my topic that you wanted to put Vortices/Vortexes (fun with plurals!) in FC, but I think RC would actually be the best place to test them- partially because it's a blank slate to begin with, but also because it's flat and has more river/land crossover (not that you couldn't do both FC and RC :) ).

Offline Uthar_Smith

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 10:26:08 pm »

I think /p is fine
What about having a speed-dial kind of thing for /p? The first person that sends you a message is /p1 to reply, the second is /p2 (it would say in the PM text) etc. That way, wrong-ID replies would be limited when talking to multiple people. /p would still just go to the last person. You could also try ? instead of /p and still do what I suggested, if ? works.
It's useful to have a short command to reply to your latest PM, but I don't think adding /p1, /p2 is needed. If you're PMing with multiple people at once, you should just use /pm. The difference in effort between /p1 and /pm 1 is minimal.

Maps are being completely redone, so all of that will be fixed.
I know you said in my topic that you wanted to put Vortices/Vortexes (fun with plurals!) in FC, but I think RC would actually be the best place to test them- partially because it's a blank slate to begin with, but also because it's flat and has more river/land crossover (not that you couldn't do both FC and RC :) ).
A few Vortexes are now added in RC. As Jonne already said (I believe); if it turns out well, maybe Vortexes will also be added in other maps.

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 01:15:37 am »
Why not just check if, when a player's armor increases, they are within a certain radius of an armor pickup or their spawn and if not, ban them? The 99/100 armor thing only catches stupid hackers. This could be done for health too, but it's much more difficult because of the various vending machines that also give health that would have to be considered.

The AC should already take care of all that, so I'll see if it's necessary to change the maximum armour and health to 99.

I believe it was a timer because otherwise you can just sit in the spawn area forever, which is not really that bad, but still has the potential for abuse (and you aren't playing the game if you're just sitting there). If spawn protection applies to vehicles too, then a Civilian or some other class could keep the President in their (invincible) car at the spawn area indefinitely. You've also got a bunch of invincible players in their spawn. (Want to kill the President as his security? Just drive the President to the terrorist spawn!). Also, you have to define where exactly the spawn area is- which is much more annoying than just figuring that by the end of the spawn protection time, players will have left.

Related suggestion- the anti-teamkilling thing for vehicles should be disabled if a player of the opposite team is a passenger in teammate's car to prevent abuse.

When I'll add that, it will probably be a combination of both, so you can't sit in your spawn forever, but when you leave your spawn, the spawn protection will be turned off. So it will be turned off either after x seconds, or when you leave your spawn. That would fix the problem with terros rushing the pres while they're still under spawn protection (For example, tower in LS).

About the anti-teamkilling, I think I'll just prevent people from entering a car as passenger that has a driver from another team. (I don't think there is a way to disable friendly fire for just one vehicle)

It's useful to have a short command to reply to your latest PM, but I don't think adding /p1, /p2 is needed. If you're PMing with multiple people at once, you should just use /pm. The difference in effort between /p1 and /pm 1 is minimal.

As Uthar says, I'd have to make a very elaborate system for just the very little impact it actually has. I'd have to copy and past the code for each /p1, /p2 etc. A way to make the code a bit smaller would be /p 1 and /p 2, so it all fits under 1 command, but then then it's just a difference of 1 letter, so I don't feel like it's worth it.

A few Vortexes are now added in RC. As Jonne already said (I believe); if it turns out well, maybe Vortexes will also be added in other maps.

^ Vortexes have been added, they're at the old Rustler spawn in RC.

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 07:02:31 am »

As Uthar says, I'd have to make a very elaborate system for just the very little impact it actually has. I'd have to copy and past the code for each /p1, /p2 etc. A way to make the code a bit smaller would be /p 1 and /p 2, so it all fits under 1 command, but then then it's just a difference of 1 letter, so I don't feel like it's worth it.
I was thinking it wouldn't be too difficult because you could take in the "/p" then look at the number right after or the 'm' in "/pm" to make it all one function, but I'm a C/C++ programmer so I guess I shouldn't assume it's that easy in Pawn. But yeah, not really very important- just a thought.

^ Vortexes have been added, they're at the old Rustler spawn in RC.
Cool!

Offline Great_Khali

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 12:21:31 pm »

What about when you take your car into a Pay-N-Spray? The same anti-armor spawning thing that I mentioned earlier could be applied to VHH.
Yeah i had seen this in partyserver or somewhere , even pay n spray gives 999 vehicle hp so cheaters get detected 100% of the times & no bugs.

Offline pRiMoZ

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 12:45:37 pm »

Yeah i had seen this in partyserver or somewhere , even pay n spray gives 999 vehicle hp so cheaters get detected 100% of the times & no bugs.
Dont forget about admin /fix or whatever it is...used in events or wherever else :D